________________________________
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Sian Woolcock
[sian.woolc...@adelaide.edu.au]
Sent: August-20-13 8:45 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] recording on unnumbered plates

>However once you get to the end of the chapter it states

>“Exception
>Early printed resources. For early printed resources, if the leaves and pages
>of plates are numbered, or if there are both numbered and >unnumbered plates,
>record each sequence of leaves and pages of plates in the appropriate terms.

>EXAMPLE
>246 pages, 38 leaves of plates, 24 pages of plates

>Disregard unnumbered sequences of plates,”

>So my question is, are we disregarding all unnumbered sequences of plates or
>just ones in Early printed resources? Toolkit is a bit >unclear.

"Disregard unnumbered sequences of plates" begins a new part of the
instruction. In the cases you do include unnumbered sequences of plates one
also has to use the word "unnumbered", as in the RDA examples:

... 43 unnumbered leaves of plates

... 19 unnumbered pages of plates

The use of qualifier "unnumbered" is also covered in RDA 3.4.5.8.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library