Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:16:24 -0700
From: Billie Hackney <bhack...@getty.edu>
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Title with embedded square brackets

I have a print title with a set of square brackets embedded in the first word
on the piece itself. Here are the first few words of the title:

D[a]edalus, my father's horse, taken from the mill

I have looked in every place in the RDA Toolkit that I can think of, and every place
listed under "square brackets" in the index, and cannot find instructions. I am
aware that in RDA, you're supposed to describe what you see, so I assume the 245b should
be exactly as I see it:

D[a]edalus, my father's horse, taken from the mill

and I can add a 246 with:

Daedalus, my father's horse, taken from the mill

Is this correct?

Billie Hackney
Senior Monograph Cataloger
Getty Research Institute