Comparing Extent of Text in RDA to AACR2:

RDA: Extent of Text is for "resources consisting of printed or manuscript text
(with or without accompanying illustrations)".
Further in RDA 3.4.5.1: "These instructions apply to text resources in volumes,
sheets, portfolios or cases."

AACR2: for "separately published monographic printed items." These "comprise
books, pamphlets, and single sheets."

In both cases exceptions are made for cartographic resources and notated music.

RDA is much more specific about the Content Type "text" and makes reference to
illustrations as being only accompanying in nature.

As such it would be odd to use the element name "Extent of Text" in this case:

Extent of Text: 20 unnumbered leaves
Illustrative Content: illustrations

But in RDA, "Extent" is an element used when the exceptions don't apply.

Possibility here (note that "Extent of Text" is not used):

Extent: 1 volume (20 unnumbered leaves)

In RDA 7.15 for Illustrative Content, the primary content of the resource is
covered by the work element in RDA 7.2 (Nature of the Content). So if the
reference is to the other element then that should be used to describe the
primary content.

Nature of the Content: An "illegible book" without text consisting of leaves of
different colors and shapes.

Which could be mapped to MARC 520 as one of the possibilities for Nature of the
Content in the RDA-MARC map in the Toolkit.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library