I guess I just don't have a problem with saying that a manifestation contains a single work. The manifestation is just a physical (or remote-access) object. It's a packaging device. So I don't have any trouble with the notion that the package could contain one work or expression. I think this "contains" vs. "is" issue is a red herring. The manifestation is NOT an expression. The expression of the work is contained (manifested) in the manifestation.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries

-----Original Message----- From: Jenifer K Marquardt
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 8:18 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] alternative titles and variant access points

I forwarded this discussion to our music cataloger, Neil Hughes. With his permission, I am sharing his response below. On my own behalf, I have to say that I would miss the 240 most when it represents the original language title for the translation being cataloged. I realize that part of this is related to display, but I do like to see, right up front and in connection with the translated title, the information about the original version. With the 240 there is instantaneous recognition of the translation without having to read notes or interpret 7xx fields.

Here are Neil's comments.

The music cataloging community intended to add a subfield $t, etc., to the 1xx field, not just put everything in 7xx fields. That would require a revamping of MARC that I think is probably too late to undertake. (The changes to our databases would be enormous, too.) That said, at least for music it would be impossible now to follow RDA as-written and just do away with the 240 without ALSO implementing the 1xx + subfield $t concept, because of the instructions for constructing authorized access points for musical works and expressions.

For example: say you have the following score representing a single work by one composer. The 100 and the 245 are as follows:

100 1_   Mussorgsky, Modest Petrovich, ǂd 1839-1881.
245 10 Pictures at an exhibition / $c Modeste Moussorgsky ; orchestrated by M. Ravel.

But that 245 title isn't the AAP for that work (in either AACR2 or RDA). So, right now in RDA, we do:

100 1_  Mussorgsky, Modest Petrovich, ǂd 1839-1881.
240 10  Kartinki s vystavki; $o arranged
245 10 Pictures at an exhibition / $c Modeste Moussorgsky ; orchestrated by M. Ravel.

The current LC-PCC PS says that the 245 subfield $a must EQUATE to the AAP in order not to need the 240. The only way to make this work, i.e., still have the composer in the creator role in the 1xx AND have an AAP associated with the creator (who can't really be put in a 7xx -- a lot of this is obviously caused by the MARC data structure, but that's what we're dealing with!) is to do this instead:

100 1_ Mussorgsky, Modest Petrovich, ǂd 1839-1881. $t Kartinki s vystavki; $o arranged 245 10 Pictures at an exhibition / $c Modeste Moussorgsky ; orchestrated by M. Ravel.

If one were simply to substitute a 7xx, what relationship designator would one use? It isn't really correct to say "Contains (expression)" (all arrangements are considered to be expressions). It IS an expression; it doesn't "contain" one, the way a compilation or aggregate work might (e.g., a sound recording including several different pieces of music). As long as we're dealing with MARC, where 7xx analytics represent either related works or included/contained works or expressions, simply doing away with the 240 will not suffice. Or at least certainly not for music.

Neil

and Jenifer

Jenifer K. Marquardt
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-1641