Elhanan,

The German-speaking community is still preparing for the implementation of RDA, and many decisions have yet to be made. So I cannot tell you for certain how we're going to do it.

But we have a strong tradition of recording information about e.g. carrier in coded form. For display, they can be shown in various ways (mostly, in our catalogs they are displayed as icons).

Therefore, my expectation is that we will go on using codes, at least internally. For international data exchange, these codes could then be transformed into English language terms (or terms in another language, if desired).

I believe codes are especially useful in a multilingual environment. You can decide how they're going to be displayed. It's easy to implement displays in several languages and let the users choose between them.

In its response to DNB/2,
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-DNB-2-LC-response.pdf
LC proposed expanding RDA 0.12 (Encoding RDA Data) like this: "When RDA instructions specify recording a name or a term in an element, the data may be recorded using a substitute encoding scheme (e.g., a country code from ISO 3166 for a place name), provided the encoding scheme is identified."

I like this idea very much.

Heidrun