Hi all

We had an internal library discussion on this just as the questions started to
come in on the list! The LC PCC statement at 9.0 is:

Fictitious Entities and Real Non-Human Entities
LC practice/PCC practice: Apply this chapter to fictitious entities and real
non-human entities following the guidelines below:

No LCSH Authority Record Exists
Create a name authority record for the entity following RDA instructions and
NACO guidelines, whether needed as a creator, contributor, etc., under RDA, or
needed only for subject access. Do not create a subject proposal for LCSH.

LCSH Authority Record Exists
If needed as a creator, contributor, etc., under RDA, create a new name
authority record and notify the Policy & Standards Division (pol...@loc.gov) to
cancel the existing subject authority record.
Optionally, a new name authority record may be created for such an entity if
needed only for subject access. If a name authority record is created, notify
the Policy & Standards Division (pol...@loc.gov) to cancel the existing subject
authority record.

Future activity: A project to transition all fictitious and real non-human
entities from LCSH will be conducted as resources are available.

At 9.19.1.1 on constructing the authorized access point:
"Make the additions specified at 9.19.1.2 even if they are not needed to
distinguish access points representing different persons with the same name."

And fictitious character is included in 9.19.1.2 with the example "Holmes,
Sherlock (Fictitious character)"

So,  I'm not sure why it is being applied depending on whether or not there is
a conflict. I can't see a policy statement at 9.19.1.1 or 9.19.1.2
contradicting the RDA instruction but perhaps I'm just missing it.

Alison

Alison Hitchens
Cataloguing & Metadata Librarian
University of Waterloo Library