Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:29:17 -0400
From: Jack Wu <j...@franciscan.edu>
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA name authorities |c (Fictitious character)

Somehow in all these changes in establishment of name authorities for
fictitious characters, I can't find anything that says the choice of main entry
(or Preferred access point, or 100 field data) has changed. Although RDA 9.0
says the scope of persons does include fictitious character; it also indicates
if the fictitious entry's role is only as subject, the RDA instructions do not
apply.

I've always learned that a fictitious character is just that, a figment of our imagination. It is not capable of authorship (or as creator) unless it's a pseudonym of some real person. I can understand Holmes, Sherlock getting an access point, but cannot understand it as the Preferred access point.

AS: AACR2 did not permit entry or the creation of name headings for these entities. RDA does and doesn't require the cataloger to have to know if a particular person is fictitious or not. Readers might not know either if a book written by someone named Jessica Fletcher is real or not.

Some RDA examples of works created by or contributed to by fictitious persons:

OCLC #837144081

100 1_ Fletcher, Jessica, $e author.
245 10 Close-up on murder : $b a novel / $c by Jessica Fletcher & Donald Bain.

OCLC #828418251

100 1_ Holmes, Sherlock, $e author.
245 14 The autobiography of Sherlock Holmes / $c by Sherlock Holmes ; edited by Don Libey, S.H.S.L.

OCLC #2013036659

100 1_ Adler, Irene $c (Fictitious character), $e author.
240 10 Trio della Dama Nera. $l English
245 14 The dark lady / $c by Irene Adler ; illustrated by Bruno Iacopo.

OCLC #664373969

245 00 Kermit unpigged $h [sound recording].
511 0_ Performed by Kermit the Frog with various artists.
700 0_ Kermit, $c the Frog.

OCLC #39875214

245 00 Dear Socks, dear Buddy : $b kids' letters to the first pets / $c [compiled, with a foreword, by] Hillary Rodham Clinton.
700 0_ Socks $c (Cat), $d 1989-2009, $e addressee.
700 0_ Buddy $c (Dog), $d 1997-2002, $e addressee.
700 1_ Clinton, Hillary Rodham, $e editor of compilation.

The LC-PCC Policy Statement for 9.0 makes it clear that even when a fictitious character is just needed as a subject, a name authority should be created.

Here are some examples from OCLC:

OCLC #788282024

245 04 The philosophy of Sherlock Holmes / ?c edited by Philip Tallon and David Baggett.
600 10 Doyle, Arthur Conan, ?d 1859-1930 ?x Characters ?x Sherlock Holmes.
600 10 Holmes, Sherlock.
650 _0 Detective and mystery stories, English ?x History and criticism.
650 _0 Philosophy in literature.
650 _0 Private investigators in literature.

OCLC #39812968

100 1_ Hammond, Diane Coplin.
245 10 Keiko's story : $b the real-life tale of the world's most famous killer whale / $c by Diane Coplin Hammond ; illustrated by Nyna Somerville.
600 00 Keiko, $d approximately 1976-2003.

OCLC #39875214

245 00 Dear Socks, dear Buddy : $b kids' letters to the first pets / $c
[compiled, with a foreword, by] Hillary Rodham Clinton.
600 00 Socks $c (Cat), $d 1989-2009 $v Humor.
600 00 Buddy $c (Dog), $d 1997-2002 $v Humor.

Here is the LC-PCC Policy Statement 9.0 on this matter:

Fictitious Entities and Real Non-Human Entities

LC practice/PCC practice: Apply this chapter to fictitious entities and real non-human entities following the guidelines below:

No LCSH Authority Record Exists

Create a name authority record for the entity following RDA instructions and NACO guidelines, whether needed as a creator, contributor, etc., under RDA, or needed only for subject access. Do not create a subject proposal for LCSH.

LCSH Authority Record Exists

If needed as a creator, contributor, etc., under RDA, create a new name authority record and notify the Policy & Standards Division (pol...@loc.gov) to cancel the existing subject authority record. Optionally, a new name authority record may be created for such an entity if needed only for subject access. If a name authority record is created, notify the Policy & Standards Division (pol...@loc.gov) to cancel the existing subject authority record. Future activity: A project to transition all fictitious and real non-human entities from LCSH will be conducted as resources are available.

Jack Wu
Franciscan University of Steubenville
j...@franciscan.edu

Adam Schiff <asch...@u.washington.edu> 10/11/2013 1:39 PM >>>
Yes that is true, at least for all newly established characters.  LC will
(slowly, I imagine) undertake a project to convert their LCSH headings for
ficititious characters to name authorities.  NACO libraries will establish
them as well as needed and report existing LCSH terms for cancellation.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries