Stephen,

As I see it, 9.4.1.3 is simply saying that sometimes you record it as a
separate element, sometimes as part of an access point, and sometimes as both.
It isn't saying you always have a choice about it.  It directs you to 9.19.1.2
for specific instructions on recording as part of an access point.

Thanks, I see what you mean.

I had indeed interpreted this as having a choice, similar to the rules about dates of person in 9.3.1.3: "Record dates as separate elements, as parts of access points, or as both. For additional instructions on recording dates as parts of authorized access points, see 9.19.1.3 (date of birth and/or death) or 9.19.1.5 (period of activity of the person and/or profession or occupation)."

My reading for this was: If you choose to record dates as part of the access point, then 9.19.1.3/5 will tell you how to do it. This didn't seem odd to me because not recording dates as part of the access point is perfectly possible (actually, that's what we've been doing in Germany for years; there's no real need if title and authority records are linked). So I thought the same principle applies to titles.

But you said "sometimes you record it as a separate element, sometimes as part of an access point, and sometimes as both". Could you give me an example for the first case in current cataloging? I can only think of a scenario where, on principle, no access points are used for persons, because otherwise 9.19.1.2 would apply.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.