Am 17.10.2013 15:50, schrieb Heidrun Wiesenmüller:
> Charles, Thomas and Richard,

> The connection between a title record and a person record is not created by
> the
> use of a text string (AAP). Instead, the records are directly linked by
> recording the identifier for the person record in the title record. For
> example,
> up to now, there is no text string "Wiesenmüller, Heidrun, 1968-" in the
> authority record for my own person. Instead, the relevant fields look like
> this:
>
> 100 Wiesenmüller, Heidrun
> 548 1968 $4 datl

Sure it is if you look at the /genuine/ MARC21-representation of your
record at < https://portal.dnb.de/opac.htm?method=requestMarcXml&idn=122087801 >
(linked from < http://d-nb.info/gnd/122087801 >):

<datafield tag="100" ind2=" " ind1="1">
  <subfield code="a">Wiesenmüller, Heidrun</subfield>
  <subfield code="d">1968-</subfield>
</datafield>
<datafield tag="548" ind2=" " ind1=" ">
  <subfield code="a">1968-</subfield>
  <subfield code="9">4:datl</subfield>
  <subfield code="w">r</subfield>
  <subfield code="i">Lebensdaten</subfield>
</datafield>

("$9 4:..." is used since the codes used for designating the
different dates still have to be sanctioned officially).

But your cataloging system does not show 100$d since in the realm of GND
this part of the authorized access point is considered as being purely
derived from data components in the authority record.

as you can see from the MARC21 representation of < http://d-nb.info/1030952124 >
at < https://portal.dnb.de/opac.htm?method=requestMarcXml&idn=1030952124 >:

<datafield tag="100" ind2=" " ind1="1">
  <subfield code="0">(DE-588)122087801</subfield>
  <subfield code="0">(DE-101)122087801</subfield>
  <subfield code="a">Wiesenmüller, Heidrun</subfield>
  <subfield code="d">1968-</subfield>
  <subfield code="4">aut</subfield>
</datafield>

In addition to the linking identifiers in $0 the complete AAP
from the authority record's 100 is "known" to the bibliographic record.
Not all systems here store it this way but I would assume that even
for systems which only store the linking identifiers it is a less
expensive operation to fetch the AAP information from the authority
record than to access arbitrary data fields.

Several legacy systems were used to see only the name of the person
in the AAP, since the current cataloging code RAK-WB does not
even allow discriminating information for most names. As these
systems switched to MARC-based data on occasion of the introduction
of the GND early last year, these systems simply simply have not been
modified in order to filter the $d's and other MARCisms from the headings,
and now give the impression of AACR2 headings in descriptions which
essentially still are governed by RAK-WB.

> With the implementation of RDA, we plan to change this: We'll still record the
> dates in 548, but will also have them as part of 100, similar to
> Anglo-American
> practice. I hope that this can be achieved automatically, as I wouldn't want
> having to input the same information twice.

There are cases, where the alleged birth date of a pseudonym
differs from that of the real person. In that case there is
a necessity to have explicit $d's in X00 which cannot be derived
from data elements for the person. A solution for this has to
be found, but for the majority of bibliographic and authority
records nobody here could tolerate a solution where derived
information from data elements has to be made explicit in
the fields for access points.

> After the discussion here, I now think that it would be equally possible to
> keep
> our current practice under RDA, arguing that our 100 is not really an AAP, and
> that AAPs are not obligatory. But it may be easier for data exchange if we
> conform to Anglo-American practice in this respect.

Well, the current practice for exchange is to provide redundant information,
and the internal mechanisms of ILS systems are different from that.
Important however is the common ground in GND-land that
a) AAP information (apart from the name proper) is usually to be derived
   from data elements in the authority record and
b) the authority record must be referenced by its identifier (and not
   by search operations based on AAPs)

> Titles of nobility like "Graf" (count) are even trickier, because up to now
> they
> were not recorded at all. For example, the preferred name for "Adolf Graf von
> Schack" according to the RAK rules is "Schack, Adolf von". The title "Graf" is
> not even recorded in a separate field. I believe this has something to do with
> the legal status of the former nobility in Germany (but would be hard pressed
> give you the details). However, I agree that it does make sense to record
> them,
> as people will most certainly associate them with the persons, whatever the
> law
> may say.

I think there is a deep gap in understanding "titles of nobility" between
anglo-american cataloguers and cataloguers mainly concerned with phenomena
in the former HRE:

"Duke of York" is a title of nobility, and "duke" alone is just an
indication of the rank.

Thus "Graf von Schack" is a title of nobility for the acting count of
Schack, however - and there the differences start - "von Schack" is already
indication of nobility for the whole family (there is no family "of York"
in Britain, the current bearer of the title has "Windsor" as his house name
and passing of the title is governed not by inheritance but by dynastical
evolution) and furthermore "Graf von Schack" may also be the title of the
noble family as a whole (in a certain interval of time: rulers could promote
a distinct person, or promote this person hereditarily or they could promote
the whole family!).

To make further differences after the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss many ruling
families lost their sovereignity but not their nobility (which may have turned
"von Schack" or the like the first time into also a family name), and after
1918 all until then reigning families also lost all of their legal privileges
and these families had to select civil last names. In Germany (but not in
Austria) they were allowed to turn their title of nobility (for the family)
into last names, thus "Graf von Schack" for a person lived after 1918 is a last
name, still indicating nobility (not former nobility, since nobility itself
has not been abolished in 1918, just turned into a kind of folklore). Or
"von Schack" is the last name (still indicating nobility) and "Graf" only
acts as an epitethon used by a certain person: You /can never/ be
completely sure and the "legal truth" and the "name mostly used by the
person" might differ. But you cannot even be sure wether "Graf von Schack"
is the /name/ the person uses, it might also be that the person himself
considers it as his name "von Schack" in combination with his (former,
traditional, ...) rank "Graf"...

> If we're going to add dates in 100, it now seems logical to me to put the
> titles
> of nobility there as well.

it is logical for Margaret Hilda Thatcher, Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven
(1925-2013), but for "Adolf Graf von Schack" (Adolf von Schack, Graf von Schack?
or Adolf Graf von Schack, Graf von Schack??) already demands
some research: NDB states at least that the rank "Graf" (of prussian nobility)
was acquired in 1876 but this does not suffice to determine whether
"Graf" then became part of the family name or not...

viele Gruesse
Thomas Berger