From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: 14 November 2013 22:49
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] The meaning of 372 Field of Activity

In the field of music, I somewhat disagree with you Bob.  I would say Punk rock
music is the field of activity for people or groups that perform that type of
music.  For a music critic, I am much more inclined to add --History and
criticism because they aren't performers.  Their field is punk rock criticism,
which is expressed in LCSH as Punk rock music--History and criticism.  To me
the difference of the term with and without the subdivision is important and
differentiating.  But this is just my take on it.  In my mind, I think of
applying the verb "do" or "make" (an activity) to what's in the 372 field.  A
punk rock group does/makes punk rock music.  A punk rock critic does criticism
of punk rock, (s)he doesn't make punk rock itself.

Adam

Adam Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
asch...@uw.edu

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Robert Maxwell wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:29:10 +0000
> From: Robert Maxwell <robert_maxw...@byu.edu>
> To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
> Subject: Re: [RDA-L] The meaning of 372 Field of Activity
>
> I agree. The field of activity is "War crimes" or "Punk rock music." What you
> actually do in those fields is specified in 374 ("College teachers" "Music
> critics"). I don't think subdivisions such as "History and criticism" or
> "Study and teaching" are necessarily wrong, but I don't think they're
> necessary (unless, as Sara points out, your field of study is the study and
> teaching of a particular topic). I'm also not saying that subdivisions are
> never necessary. For example, I've frequently added fields of activity for
> historians specializing in Ancient Greece, and I do use "Greece-History" and
> possibly a subdivision even more specific depending on their specialty.
>
> Bob
>
> Robert L. Maxwell
> Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
> 6728 Harold B. Lee Library
> Brigham Young University
> Provo, UT 84602
> (801)422-5568
>
> "We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
> the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries