From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Trina Pundurs
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:36 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Varying form of publisher's name on t.p./t.p. verso

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Dana Van Meter <vanme...@ias.edu> wrote:

[...]

My question is, in 2.2.2.2 when they say title page, they don't mean the
t.p. verso, do they?  [...]

If I need to take the place of publication from the t.p. verso, should I
then also take the publisher's name from the t.p. verso (follow rule
2.8.2.2)?

Hi Dana,

I find it helpful when struggling with a difficult 246 to begin by
choosing and recording the publisher's name first, setting aside place for
the moment.

So for your resource, applying 2.8.4.2 and taking the publisher's name
from the same source as the title proper, you'd have

264 _1 ... $b Hordern House

and you are done with publisher's name.  There is no need to revisit it
once you've recorded it.

After this you can turn your attention to place of publication.
Considering your resource again, 2.8.2.2 tells you that the first spot to
look for place of publication is the same source as the publisher's name.
But there is no place of publication to be found there, so going back to
2.8.2.2 you can look anywhere else within the resource.  (And this does
mean *anywhere*; there is nothing special or privileged about the t.p.
verso.)  Once you choose your source, record the place of publication as
it appears there.  Using t.p. verso as the source, you'd have

264 _1 $a Potts Point, NSW, Australia

(including "Australia" per 2.8.2.3)

Then finish up with date of publication.  You don't say whether there's a
date on the title page -- if so, that's where you would take it from.  But
if it appears only on the t.p. verso, you can take it from there, without
brackets, per 2.8.6.2.

Put it all together and you get:

264 _1 $a Potts Point, NSW, Australia : $b Hordern House, $c 2004.

This can get frustrating, but as with all things, it gets easier the more
you do it.

Trina

Trina Pundurs
Serials Cataloger
Library Collection Services
University of California, Berkeley
tpund...@library.berkeley.edu
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/

Proudly wearing the sensible shoes since 1990