I don't know the answer to this question but locally we add an entry for the 
name of the department the author belonged to because our users want to be able 
to retrieve lists of theses by department. I haven't come up with a 
relationship designator for that which is holding up our converting the thesis 
template to RDA.

-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access 
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: 02 December 2013 09:57
Subject: [RDA-L] "Faculty" in

I'm not quite certain about the meaning of "faculty" in the element 
"Dissertation or Thesis Information". reads: "Record the name of the granting institution or faculty." 
I assume that the example "University College, London" is supposed to 
illustrate a case where the degree is granted by a faculty rather than the 
university (which would be the University of London). Is this correct?

The reason for my question is that I'm wondering about German doctoral theses. 
There, usually both the name of the university and the name of the faculty 
within this university are given, e.g.: "Dissertation zur Erlangung des 
Doktorgrades der Fakultaet fuer Agrarwissenschaften der 
Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen" (i.e. "Thesis for obtaining the doctoral 
degree of the Faculty for Agricultural Sciences of the Georg August University 

Up to now, in such a case we've only recorded the name of the university, but 
not the name of the faculty. I also can't remember ever having seen an AACR2 
record including a faculty of a German university. 
This impression fits in with the example "Freie Universitaet Berlin" in (without information about the respective faculty, which probably was 
given on the source of information as well).

My feeling is that in Germany, a faculty is basically an administrative 
division. It's not at all comparable to the independent character of the 
University College London (Wikipedia says: "For most practical purposes, 
ranging from admissions to funding, the constituent colleges operate as 
individual universities, and some have recently obtained the power to award 
their own degrees whilst remaining in the federation."). So I would prefer to 
give the name of the university only, without the faculty.

How would you handle the case of the German universities and when would you use 
the "faculty"?


Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.
Stuttgart Media University
Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany www.hdm-stuttgart.de/bi

Reply via email to