Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:49 AM
To: Adam Schiff
Subject: RE: [RDA-L] addition to authorized access point for serial title

Thank you for your generous reply. This is what confuses me: The emphasis seems to be on the earliest piece of information. Since I am cataloging this with a full run in the online archives, I can see the change in both city and in name of the body.

You are saying that I can use the later city & indicate the change through notes in the record?

We are not qualified to create NACO authority records but we do our best to catalog by the rules laid down. Since we'd rather not split our record into two, it seems best to use a place as qualifier.

130 Exceptional release (Arlington, Va.)

So if I did that, it seems the best place to incorporate the place change information would be into the 550 as:

550 Issued by Maintenance Officer Association, Springfield, Va., 1983-1999; by: Logistics Officer Association, Arlington, Va., 1999-

Does that make sense?

4. Change in qualifier
a) Body used as qualifier
i) If the name of the body changes or the body is no longer involved with
the serial, create a new record for the serial.

EXAMPLE
130    $a Monograph series (American Bar Association. Special Committee on
Alternative Means of Dispute Resolution)
130    $a Monograph series (American Bar Association. Special Committee on
Dispute Resolution)

ii) If the authorized access point on the one name authority record is
revised, do not create a new record for the serial. Change the form of name
in the qualifier, as necessary, to match the authorized access point in the
name authority record.

EXAMPLE

130 $a _______________ (Instytut belaruskaĭ kul´tury (Minsk, Byelorussian
S.S.R.))
would be changed to
130    $a _______________ (Instytut belaruskaĭ kul´tury (Minsk, Belarus))

b) Place used as qualifier
i) If the serial "moves" to another city, do not create a new record. In the
bibliographic record, add information about the change in place of
publication.
ii) If the name of the place changes and a separate name authority record is
created for that name, do not create a new record for the serial/series. Do
not change the qualifier.
iii) If the authorized access point on the one name authority record is
revised, do not create a new record for the serial. Change the form of name
in the qualifier, as necessary, to match the authorized access point in the
name authority record.

EXAMPLE
130    $a _______________ (Kinshasa, Zaire)
would be changed to
130    $a _______________ (Kinshasa, Congo)

c) Other qualifiers. If the information used as qualifier changes in form or
fact, do not create a new record. In the bibliographic record, add
information if appropriate.

EXAMPLE
130    $a ______________ (Middle Atlantic edition)
Current issues labeled as "Mid-Atlantic edition"

Incidentally, you can access the LC-PCC Policy Statements in the RDA Toolkit
for free.  You don't need a subscription to the Toolkit to view the policy
statements.

//SIGNED//
Patricia Fogler
Chief, Cataloging Section  (AUL/LTSC)
Muir S. Fairchild Research Information Center
DSN 493-2135   Comm (334) 953-2135