look at fail2ban for the ssh probes... there are similar packages for
non-linux as well.  (although it shouldn't be too hard to port.)

someone pointed out --remote-schema already... what i tend to prefer for
ssh is to make up fake hostnames in .ssh/config.  (see
http://arctic.org/~dean/rdiff-backup/unattended.html for examples.)

-dean