> thanks for your explanations ... i was a bit confused to see a lot of
> "Processing changed file" messages of files which have already been
> transferred ... could be that checksumming these files is a performance
> bottleneck on the NAS device ... so doing the rdiff-backup locally and
> uploading via rsync might be an option ...

Yeah, might be that this is the bottleneck. In this case I indeed suggest to
split the backup in two parts: Rdiff-backup locally (quick, robust, no need
for transmissions) and let rsync do the transmission to the target. The
latter might be a lot quicker than a transmission using rdiff-backup, for
rsync usually supposes two files to be identical if filesize and timestamp
match.