That is good advice, and in the future I'll make sure to add
--exclude-special-files and any other sane options to prevent possible
problems. Sadly that didn't allow me to restore the damaged backup
directory, but I decided to take your advice and look for other useful
options in the manpage, and I found one. I ran:

sudo rdiff-backup --no-eas --check-destination-dir /backups/harvey-home/

And it worked. My backup directory seems to be fixed and I can now list
increments again. I think the problem is fixed, though I'll know for
sure when I try to back up again.

This is uncharted territory for me, but I figure I'm better off
disabling backing up of extended attributes with --no-eas to prevent
such problems in the future.

Everyone, thank you for your ideas and your support.