Hi,

On 31/03/2021 09:49, Pieter Bonne wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Has there historically been a release schedule for rdiff-backup?  To be
> concrete I'm anticipating a Windows build that supports long paths, which
> is getting to be a serious headache.  Could you provide some insight on
> when to expect a next release?

TL;DR: not anytime soon, unless someone becomes active.

I'm in the middle of a restructuration of the code and until I've
reached a stable state, there will be no releases. I'm planning to
release "soonish" an alpha version, which will profit from the recent
enhancements to PyInstaller 4.2 [1], but I wouldn't recommend anybody to
use it for production purposes.

An alternative would be if someone would volunteer to maintain a stable
branch of v2.0.x. There is this issue which would be fixed by just
re-building the package, and  a few fixes which could be taken from
master and back-ported, making a nice v2.0.6 version:

* FIX: avoid breaking on non-readable files, causing ListError, closes
       #34, closes #245
* FIX: avoids MemoryError on Windows when compiling for 64 bits, closes
* FIX: cross device link error on ZFS with project quota, closes #519
       (#522)
* FIX: longnames are correctly reversed when regressing a failed
       back-up, closes #9
* FIX: PID handling when process is interrupted now works properly
       under Windows.
* FIX: setting tempdir under Windows might fail with error about mix of
       bytes and str, closes #540

I'm just lacking the time to do it, but if someone wants to give it a
try, I'll support.

Alternatively you can just create your own build based on v2.0.5, just
using version 4.2 of PyInstaller. There are instructions and scripts on
how to do this [2],

KR, Eric

[1]
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/236?_pjax=%23js-repo-pjax-container#issuecomment-812347531