Hi,

Thank you for the explanation.

During backup rdiff-backup did lstat for
/some/path/rdiff-backup-data/increments/foo/bar
which returned — ENOENT .

Does it mean it tried to check some file in increments which is not here?
If it is not in increments, does it mean it was never backed up?
If all above statements are true, why after backup is done, there is still no
such file? Is it expected?

I’ve just played a bit with rdiff-backup on my local.

# at /tmp/tmp.jondxmEQDC
$ cat > a
aaa
^D

# at /tmp/tmp.zh49h057dq $ mkdir bckp
$ rdiff-backup /tmp/tmp.jondxmEQDC bckp/
$ ls bckp/rdiff-backup-data/increments/
# empty

It means after very first backup there is nothing in increments. Let’s add new
file and do backup once again:

# at /tmp/tmp.jondxmEQDC
$ cat > b
bbb
^D
# at /tmp/tmp.zh49h057dq
$ rdiff-backup /tmp/tmp.jondxmEQDC bckp/
$ ls bckp/rdiff-backup-data/increments/
b.2021-05-12T22:11:02+09:00.missing

I can see a record for new file with .missing suffix.

However in case of `lstat()` it tries to access something which has not such
suffix.
What it tries to access?

---
Best Regards,