On Feb 17, 2009, at 9:18 AM, George Oakman wrote:
Does someone know if I can assume that the canonical SMILES of RDKit are the same as the Open Babel ones?

I wouldn't assume that without a lot of testing. My assumption
is that canonical SMILES generation is so implementation
sensitive that it's very unlikely two systems would do it the
same way unless that was a deliberate goal.

Which I know wasn't the case with those two implementations.

I think also that RDKit pays more attention to handling
stereochemistry than OpenBabel.

Am I doing something wrong in responding to the mailing list, it looks like all my answers are logged as a separate message as oposed to being logged in the same thread - please let me know, I don't want to make it all untidy!

I don't use a threaded mail reader so I can't tell.

                                Andrew
                                da...@dalkescientific.com