On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM, JP <jeanpaul.ebe...@inhibox.com> wrote:

> This Rocks version comes with 3 (!) python distributions.  Python 2.4
> which is the system default, and is found in the places where you'd
> expect python to sit (/usr/bin etc).   This python version is used for
> normal cluster management and execution (so this you cannot touch).

ah good. I thought you were aiming at 2.7 because of some Rocks requirement.

> Of course a ton of people wanted the newer python versions available
> so, since the latest Rocks, the Rocks people package python 2.7 and
> 3.0 in /opt (without any sources).  I thought that since python 2.7 is
> available now (albeit via some env variables tweaks) I could skip the
> python 2.7 installation instructions on the rdkit centos wiki page.

I think there are more options, still. You could start by trying to
use system's python. IIRC when I last compiled rdkit against it the
tests where OK so you should have at least a good chunk of features
working. I am not sure whether keeping compatibility with 2.4 is a
goal for rdkit though.

Alternatively, the EPEL repository carries a python26 package which
you could use to move away from 2.4

Hope that helps

G.

--