Matthew,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Matthew Lardy <mla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to open and write compressed sd files with the Java wrappers.
> I know, and have, been able to do this in Python but has anyone cracked how
> to read and write sdf.gz files in Java?

After googling around a bit, it doesn't look like this is currently doable.
Dealing with passing streams between languages seems to be something that
SWIG struggles with (understandable... it's not going to be an easy thing
to do).

One option would be to add the support directly to the java wrappers using
the boost::iostreams library (this is how compressed files used to be
handled from within Python). This adds some additional dependencies (you'd
need to have a compiled version of boost::iostreams and all of its
dependencies available), and will require some coding, but would be robust
and perform well. It's something worth thinking about for the Q3 release.