Tri-anything groups can be considered one by one after the remaining heavy
atoms have been aligned. This turns a combinatorial explosion into a linear
algorithm for these groups. (Well, it would be linear in number of
tri-anything groups, but it gets more complicated if the anythings are more
than monatomic.)

This would matter from the point of view of RMSD if binding conformations
were being compared to each other or to free molecules, or when free
molecules were being compared to each other in a situation where steric
hindrance affects some tri-something group differently among different
conformations. Considering the tri-anything groups would factor in
significant deviations from the local equilibrium geometry

It would also matter in atomic mappings if you really wanted to know which
hydrogen (or anything else) in a conformer alligns to a particular
tri-anything bond in a reference structure. For example, you might have a
methyl group in the reference structure where one H points into a pocket in
an active site and, in a series of analogs, you want to try substituting
the corresponding H some R group or groups.

-P.