Hi

I have come across a difference in behaviour with the BRICS algorithms
depending on how the molecule is fragmented when using non-canonical smiles
input.
RDKIT 2015_03, Python 2.7.10

BRICSDecompose gives back the starting chirality

>>> smi='C1CCOC[C@H]1NC'
>>> mol=Chem.MolFromSmiles(smi)
>>> cansmi=Chem.MolToSmiles(mol,1)
>>> cansmi
'CN[C@H]1CCCOC1'
>>> frags=BRICS.BRICSDecompose(mol,returnMols=True)
>>> bm=list(BRICS.BRICSBuild(frags))
>>> [Chem.MolToSmiles(m,1) for m in bm]
['CN[C@H]1CCCOC1']

BreakBRICSBonds inverts the centre.
>>> frags=Chem.GetMolFrags(BRICS.BreakBRICSBonds(mol),asMols=True)
>>> bm=list(BRICS.BRICSBuild(frags))
>>> [Chem.MolToSmiles(m,1) for m in bm]
['CN[C@@H]1CCCOC1']

Starting from the canonical smiles works fine
>>> smi='CN[C@H]1CCCOC1'
>>> mol=Chem.MolFromSmiles(smi)
>>> frags=Chem.GetMolFrags(BRICS.BreakBRICSBonds(mol),asMols=True)
>>> bm=list(BRICS.BRICSBuild(frags))
>>> [Chem.MolToSmiles(m,1) for m in bm]
['CN[C@H]1CCCOC1']

The inversion happens in BreakBRICSBonds
>>> smi='C1CCOC[C@H]1NC'
>>> mol=Chem.MolFromSmiles(smi)
>>> Chem.MolToSmiles(BRICS.BreakBRICSBonds(mol),1)
'[15*][C@@H]1CCCOC1.[5*]NC'

Using the pre canonicalised SMILES is clearly the way to go, but thought that
this might be indicative of an issue somewhere.

Regards

Stephen

GSK monitors email communications sent to and from GSK in order to protect GSK,
our employees, customers, suppliers and business partners, from cyber threats
and loss of GSK Information. GSK monitoring is conducted with appropriate
confidentiality controls and in accordance with local laws and after
appropriate consultation.