From: Greg Landrum
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Rdkit-discuss] Masking groups as atoms in RDKit
To: Kovas Palunas
Cc: rdkit-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net

I'm afraid that there's likely to be rather a lot of devil hiding in the
details (as is so often the case).

A simple example of one problem: let's take your [But]O case. Suppose you do a
substructure search for the molecule defined by the SMARTS "OCC". Does that
match "[But]O"?  What does it return when I ask for the substructure matches
(this function, if you aren't familiar with it, returns the indices of the
matching atoms)? What about the SMARTS "CC"?

One solution to this that works with substructure searching is to have the
molecule contain all the atoms - "CCCCO" in your example - but to have the four
C atoms marked as a group so that drawings of the molecule display "[But]O".
Supporting this type of functionality is on the To Do list (it's part of
supporting S Groups from Mol files).

If you just want to indicate that there is a [But] group there but not really
do anything with the group's structure, there's are probably already ways to
handle this using dummy atoms and custom labels.

-greg

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Kovas Palunas