Hi Jim,

ctest is a part of the cmake system that is used to build the rdkit:
https://cmake.org/
there's great documentation available there. We use ctest after every build
to run the RDKit test suite. The idea is to ensure that the code is working
as expected. The tests are all run automatically as part of the
RDKit-Jenkins integration and the process by which we produce conda builds.

In order to run ctest yourself on the RDKit, you have to have a build
environment set up (i.e. with an install of Visual Studio) and do an RDKit
build. Getting this all setup is "non-trivial", so unless you really want
to do RDKit development it's likely not worth doing.

If you can provide a bit more info about what you want to do/learn, we may
be able to provide some other suggestions.