On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Paolo Tosco <paolo.to...@unito.it> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I believe the problem here is that if you are building outside CMake the
> WIN32 preprocessor macro is not defined (_WIN32 is). So, when ROMol.h is
> parsed, the ROMol class definition includes a "private" directive that
> should not be there, hence the error. To fix the issue, you need to add to
> your cl command line a /DWIN32.

Thank you!  This did the trick.  I should learn to use CMake instead of
compiling everything in Mathematica (when all you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail)

> As a side note, I am not sure you really want to do:
>
>         RDKit::ROMol mol = *(RDKit::SmilesToMol(smi));
>         std::string res = RDKit::MolToSmiles(mol);
>
> In fact, this makes a copy of the molecule that the pointer returned by
> SmilesToMol() points to, while leaking the memory pointed to.
> If you are not interested in making a copy of the returned molecule, you
> should probably rather do:
>
>     RDKit::RWMol *mol = RDKit::SmilesToMol(smi);
>     std::string res = RDKit::MolToSmiles(*mol);
>     delete mol;

You are definitely correct here, I was trying to make the simplest failing
example and the example without the copy compiled fine - declaring a
pointer to an ROMol is fine but declaring an actual object triggered the
error.

I'm very new to c++, will keep in mind to always delete my pointers.   If I
understand correctly, if I always wrap my ROMol objects in a
std::shared_ptr (or the boost equivalent), then the memory will not be
leaked.  Is that right?

Best,
Jason