My two cents: Brian's suggestion to use  _CalcLabuteASAContribs is what I
would do here.
For what it's worth, the original Python versions of the RDKit's
implementations of the MOE VSA descriptors is here:
https://github.com/rdkit/rdkit/blob/master/rdkit/Chem/MolSurf.py

The current code has reimplemented most of this in C++, but what's there
may still be educational.

-greg