If you try this out with my smiview package, available from
https://bitbucket.org/dalke/smiview/downloads/ , it reports:

% smiview 'C\(C(C)C)=N/O'
Cannot parse --smiles: Unexpected term
  C\(C(C)C)=N/O
    ^ Tokenizing stopped here
A bond must be followed by an atom, closure.

That is, the bond symbol '\' may not be followed by a branch. (And I should
improve that error message so it's more explicit.)

I think you are looking for the SMILES "C(\C(C)C)=N/O".

                                Andrew
                                da...@dalkescientific.com