Hi rdkitters,
I'd like to compare the similarity of torsion/atom pair FPs using standard
atomic numbering with those using pharmacophore types, like the 'CATS' atom
typing developed by Gisbert Schneider, and hoped someone has some advice
here. *CATS* is a pharmacophore atom typing system with these types: H-bond
donor, H-bond acceptor, positive, negative, lipophilic, and CATS2 has
'aromatic'. These are described in: *“Scaffold‐Hopping” by Topological
Pharmacophore Search: A Contribution to Virtual Screening. *It seems pretty
close to the Gobbi 2D pharmacophore typing, or the features used in FCFP.

Ive no problem detecting the atom types - I borrowed code from the open
source PyBioMed - but I'm stuck at the next step. How to change the atoms
into their pharmacophore types to then make a torsion or atom pair
fingerprint using RDKit? What I've tried so far is to just set the atomic
number to some series of 5 atoms not normally seen in drug like molecules,
like 40-44. This is silly but it seems to work. The only issue is trouble
kekulizing the molecules for display. Is there a better way?

Here's a snippet to demonstrate what I mean, it's adapted from PyBioMed and
any errors are probably mine:
https://github.com/ljmartin/snippets/blob/master/atom_typing_snippet.ipynb

Thanks for your time!
lewis