> Sometimes, I wish there was a rdkit consortium/NPO (so that donations are tax
> deductible), so that rdkit could be massively funded by all its commercial
> users, and even accepting individual donations.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so please feel free to take this off-list
with anyone interested.

I think it's an interesting idea in general in open chemistry. We have set up
an Open Chemistry collective - this receives $$ from Google Summer of Code. The
"host" is the Open Source Collective, a 501c6 non-profit in the United States
(https://docs.opencollective.com/help/hosts/open-source-collective)

The collective isn't perfect, it skims 5% for transaction fees and overhead,
but it's:
- completely transparent for donations
- completely transparent for expenses
- allows both one-time and recurring donations

Greg can correct me - I think we handled the $$ to RDKit from Google Summer of
Code 2018 before we set this up, but it's certainly there to use. You can
create your own RDKit collective pretty easily too:
https://opencollective.com/open-chemistry

One big benefit is that OpenCollective handles all the legal paperwork and
accounting.

-Geoff

PS One regret is that I haven't had need of chemfp in house, or I would have
pushed some $$ towards Andrew.