> - That last bullet point likely works for academics too: think about adding
> some support for open-source development to your next grant proposal. I would
> assume that there are ways to engineer this.

I have the most experience with this point, naturally. Suffice to say that I've
written support letters for numerous NIH and NSF-funded projects. In NSF lingo,
open source development for widely-used packages is a clear "broader impact"
and generally appreciated by reviewers.

The big challenge on the academic side is similar to what Andrew mentioned -
that it's easier to get people (i.e., funding sources) interested in new
feature X than in testing, bug fixing and documentation.

Greg's point about support contracts I think is important - there's a definite
need for this and I hope to see this area grow.

Cheers,
-Geoff