I don't really understand the details of what you're trying to do (and
don't currently have the time to dig into it anyway), but perhaps I can
help with at least part of this:

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 1:08 PM Andrew Dalke <da...@dalkescientific.com>
wrote:

> Problem is, I don't know how to figure out if a given aromatic bond must
> be a "-" or "=", or can be both.

I think it's relatively easy to figure out if a particular aromatic bond
can only be a single bond; at least for most cases:

Here are the cases where the aromatic bonds from an atom must be single
bonds:
1) has an explicit double bond  - overs exocyclic bonds and bonds in
non-aromatic rings
2) is O, Se, or Te and charge ==0  - covers c1cocc1, c1c[se]ccc1,
c1c[oH+]ccc1 (not sure if that's actually useful)
3) is N or P and charge==0 and numExplicitHs=1.

This ignores weird cases like radicals, C-, [oH+] etc.

I think other aromatic bonds can be either single or double (unless they're
adjacent to one of these, in which case they have to be double, but that's
a "higher order effect").

Is that useful at all?