From: Scalfani, Vincent <vfscalf...@ua.edu>
Sent: 09 October 2019 14:40
To: Maciek Wójcikowski <mac...@wojcikowski.pl>; Greg Landrum
<greg.land...@gmail.com>
Cc: RDKit Discuss <rdkit-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Rdkit-discuss] Inchi which flavour??

Hi Macjek and Mike,

If I understand your question correctly, you can specify InChI option
parameters when calculating InChIs. Here is an example:

m = Chem.MolFromSmiles('CCC1=CN=C(NC1=O)NC')

Chem.MolToInchi(m)

'InChI=1S/C7H11N3O/c1-3-5-4-9-7(8-2)10-6(5)11/h4H,3H2,1-2H3,(H2,8,9,10,11)'

Now, try with one of the non-standard options such as FixedH:

Chem.MolToInchi(m,'/FixedH')

'InChI=1/C7H11N3O/c1-3-5-4-9-7(8-2)10-6(5)11/h4H,3H2,1-2H3,(H2,8,9,10,11)/f/h8,10H'

To answer the question of what happens when the InChI calculation fails, I get
an empty string.

m =
Chem.MolFromSmiles('[C@H]1([C@H](C1C2[C@@H]([C@@H]2C(=O)O)C(=O)O)C(=O)O)C(=O)O')

Chem.MolToInchi(m)

'  '

There is also an InChI option that can warn on empty structures, and calculate
an empty InChI, which I am assuming is supposed to be ‘InChI=1S//’, however,
when trying this option I get the same result as above.

Chem.MolToInchi(m,'/WarnOnEmptyStructure')

'  '

I hope that helps.

Vin