I think there was some confusion between left and right in the original
message, but RDKit prefers the representation that preserves the octet at
the expense of having more formal charges:

In [9]: mol = Chem.MolFromSmiles('O=I(=O)([O-])')

In [10]: Chem.MolToSmiles(mol)

I don't think there's right and wrong here; it's just a matter of a toolkit
picking a canonical convention.

Carboxylates are different in that the popular representation (C(=O)[O-])
doesn't break the octet rule. But another interesting case is nitro groups:

In [11]: mol = Chem.MolFromSmiles('CN(=O)=O')

In [12]: Chem.MolToSmiles(mol)

Out[12]: 'C[N+](=O)[O-]'

Ivan