A minor correction: [H] by itself *is* valid and means a hydrogen atom. The
Daylight docs say as much in section 4.1. But in other contexts it means a
hydrogen count, so to be safe, always using #1 to mean a hydrogen atom can
be a good practice.

If you are ever in doubt about how RDKit is interpreting a SMARTS,
I recommend making use of the DescribeQuery function which provides a tree
representation of a query atom or bond. For example (comments added):

>>> mol = Chem.MolFromSmarts('[H][N,H][N,#1]')

>>> print(mol.GetAtomWithIdx(0).DescribeQuery())  # [H]

AtomAtomicNum 1 = val  # [H] interpreted as a hydrogen atom

>>> print(mol.GetAtomWithIdx(1).DescribeQuery())  # [N,H]

AtomOr
  AtomType 7 = val
  AtomHCount 1 = val  # H interpreted as a hydrogen count
# Overall query atom means "an aliphatic nitrogen OR (any atom with one
hydrogen)!

>>> print(mol.GetAtomWithIdx(2).DescribeQuery())   # [N,#1]

AtomOr
  AtomType 7 = val
  AtomAtomicNum 1 = val  # "#1" is atomic number, therefore a hydrogen atom.
# Overall query atom means "an aliphatic nitrogen OR a hydrogen"

One non-obvious convention in the DescribeQuery output is that AtomType
implies aliphatic when the value is a normal atomic number, or aromatic if
the atomic number is offset by 1000. For example, [n] is "AtomType 1007".

Hope you find this approach useful in the future.

Ivan