I think generators, being mechanical devices have much more "mechanical inertia" to power through large load spikes then their electronic counterparts.

Todd

Drake Chamberlin wrote:

Hello Wrenches,

I've noticed, over the years, that generators will start pumps that have a higher surge rating than the generator output. What I'm wondering is what the mechanics of this is. Will the pumps just start fine even if the instantaneous draw of the windings is not met? Even though the windings will draw a very high amperage, if available, is it ok if this momentary surge current is not available? Do the generators provide a momentary surge? Why do the pumps start with no problem, even though the numbers don't work out?

Thanks