If the choice is one or three, I choose one. If the choice is one or two, I
choose two for the same redundancy benefit echoed by others. However, it
sometimes depends how remote the system is.

If you are a few miles down the road from a stocking battery distributor, one
string is great. If you are a boat ride or a 10 hour 4x4 crawl at 2 mph away,
redundancy may be critical. It all depends on the situation. I would even
consider three strings if the location has serious access problems and the
customer can only "survive" with 33% capacity loss for a period of time.

While I have my favorite brands, sometimes you have to go with a brand that
fits the right capacity and string arrangement. Fortunately Rolls has lots of
options, so you should find a suitable alternative. I start with my desired V,
aH, and parallel strings, then let the manufacturer or distributor do the work
and recommend options. Not that I don't do my research, but sometimes they come
up with a better option than you initially think of.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar