Wrenches,

After Hurricane Irene left a lot of people without power here in the Northeast, customers who have grid-tied systems are asking about some battery backup to power some essential loads.

We have used Sunny Islands but they require either 2 Sunny Islands or a step up transformer to get 240 volts for the well pump. Schneider Electric (Xantrex XW) inverters look like they would work for this application and do 120/240 volt output as well and we have used these in off grid applications but not as AC coupled. I have considered Magnum because they also do 120/240 volts but they need battery diversion to ensure the batteries are not over charged.

None of these systems are going to be rewired as a DC system so I am looking for any feed back on what others are using to AC couple to existing grid-tied systems to provide some battery backup.

Thanks
Larry

Larry Brown