Dear wrenches,  I will be installing a single Sunny Island 5048 for a battery
backup system that will utilize a Sunny Boy 5000US as well as 240 volt loads.
I know that Outback makes a 4 and 6kv autotransformer and there are units rated
as much as 8kv from other companies.  Being a 5000 watt inverter I think the
6kv from outback would work but SMA is telling me to go with the highest rated
unit I can find.  The price difference between the different autotransformers
is substantial and I don't want to buy more than I need. It would be great to
hear from anyone who has installed a single Sunny Island 5048 and what
autotransformer they used.  Thanks in advanced.

Aaron Mandelkorn
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Owner / Operator

Renewable Energy Outfitters