The problem they'll have with a completely flat module is that rain won't wash the dust off.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com

On 4/20/2013 10:09 PM, Benn Kilburn - DayStar Renewable Energy wrote:
Carl,
I realized mis-read/answered your question. I was having a couple conversations yesterday about clamping modules on the short side and it must have still been on my mind when I read your question.

Either way the answer should still be on the specific module's spec sheet or most definitely in the install manual. It is usually listed as "max load capacity" or "snow load" and be given in pascals.

benn
DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.
www.daystarsolar.ca
780-906-7807
Construction Electrician Solar PV Systems Certified
Certificate # 0007S
HAVE A SUNNY DAY

From: "Benn @ DayStar" <b...@daystarsolar.ca <mailto:b...@daystarsolar.ca>> Reply-To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org <mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>>
Date: Friday, April 19, 2013 11:04 PM
To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org <mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>>
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Modules approved for horizontal mounting

    Carl,
    Each specific module install instruction guide should state the
    acceptable mounting attachment points.

    benn
    Sent from a 'smart' phone, with touch screen keys. Please excuse
    shortcuts and typos.

    On 2013-04-19, at 7:27 PM, Carl Adams <swingjun...@gmail.com
    <mailto:swingjun...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hello wrenches,

    I have a request for quote,  which shows modules mounted
    horizontally on a supporting structure.  This is being done more
    for show than production obviously.  The approved modules in the
    bid spec are Sharp, Renesolar, LDK, and Trina.

    Does anyone know if these modules are approved, by the
    manufacturer, for flat (horizontal) mounting, or have a good
    point of contact with any of these manufacturers so I can get a
    quick answer direct from them?  We have a 20 psf design snow load
    in our area.

    Cheers
    Carl Adams
    SunRock Solar