The output of a 120/240 volt auto transformer shares neutral with the input
when you use to couple a 120 volt device to a 120/240 volt split phase
system... there is no isolation because the neutrals are the same connection.

I've done AC coupling with auto transformer specifically between Outbacks,
"late model" Xantrex inverters, SMA, and Power one inverters.

/wk