worst case scenario, a battery based inverter system trying to power the grid
would immediately shutdown on overload as the "infinite load" of the grid would
look like a dead short.

also, all utility workers treat lines as "live" and routinely short out feeders
before working on them... so the likelihood of this being an issue is extremely
tiny.

someone else would have to address the liability issue, but i imagine this is
covered in the utility's net metering contract.

todd