I do systems like this every year. (-45F winter temps). Use quick connects and
train the customer on the batteries and their maintenance. Find bats with
freeze points that match your area. I typically mount the modules at 90degree
so snow never covers the array/module.

I always recommend removal. I've thought about temp controlled incandescent
lamp with a timer in a battery box for really cold nights.... Haven't got
around to working through that design.

I'm interested in the real seasoned off-grid installers thoughts about this.

Jesse Dahl

NABCEP PV Installation Professional
IBEW Local 292 - Electrician
Electrical/Solar PV Instructor - HCC