HI Mac,

This is a pretty common event.

Yes the CC is dumping its caps into the load as the load is in a sense
overloading the batteries.  IE they are not able to deliver the amps and so the
CC is helping.
A larger breaker might help, or one technique I’ve used before ( advice from
midnight) is to put a longer output cable on the CC.  Slows the pixies down so
you are less apt to dump the capacitors.
However you don’t mention the battery size or age.
I would suspect that you are starting to have some battery issues as thats the
only time events like this occur.

With this new larger load either the battery bank is too small and therefor
struggling to supply current, and/or the age of the batteries is causing a
reduction in current or you have  one/few bad cells that are not normally seen
except in conditions like this, or you have a bad connection in/to/on the
battery bank or some combo.

jay