HI Drake and all,

Thanks for this.

As I understand this better now, maybe.  Neutral sizing changes between supply
side and load side of main service panel.

Others have chimed in with an argument that can be made that if the neutral
wire is sized for a 200 amp service then it should be OK even if the ungrounded
wires are larger.  Yes there would be higher VD than with the 500mcm but this
would only be at fully 1 phase loaded which is highly unlikely.  However the
wire ampacity wouldn’t be in question even in a 100% 1 phase load.

This project the owner decided that rather than fight the county, he had the
money to install the 500mcm as a neutral.

I have been just trying to educate myself for future projects and as often is
the case with me and the NEC, its more complicated that I thought.

jay
peltz power