Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760

On 12/14/18 6:58 AM, d...@foxfire-energy.com wrote:
OBTW. the FNDC is a dry contact.

db

Dan Brown
Foxfire Energy Corp.
Renewable Energy Systems
(802)-483-2564
www.Foxfire-Energy.com <http://www.Foxfire-Energy.com>
NABCEP #092907-44

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: [RE-wrenches] Interesting gen start problem
    From: William Miller <will...@millersolar.com
    <mailto:will...@millersolar.com>>
    Date: Thu, December 13, 2018 3:11 pm
    To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org
    <mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>>

    Friends:
    While I’d like to think I have seen everything, I came across this
    scenario recently that surprised me:
    We replace an existing FX system that had a generator component.
    Since the
    FX inverter can only provide 12 volts for generator start, and we
    did not see a relay in the power room, we assumed there was a 12
    volt coil relay in the generator room.  Turns out this was not the
    case.
    Generators use the cranking battery voltage (B+) to power control
    circuits.  The B+ to start control relays is completed by a
    contact closure.  In this case, there was no relay.  Instead the
    original installer use the 12 volts from the FX inverters to
    provide substitute B+ to the generator control circuitry.
    The end result is we burned up the Radian control board.
    Apparently the FX inverter had enough 12 volt capability to make
    this work, but the Radians did not.
    When we began troubleshooting, our first clue something was wrong
    was that there was no relay.  Our second clue was that one of
    the12 volt start leads was grounded. We also burned up a relay in
    the generator.
    I hope this little cautionary tale helps one of you avoid a burned
    up control board someday, somewhere. This problem was a big headache.
    William
    PS: Here is a web page

<http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Inverters/battery_iinverters/TT-Radian/TT_Radian.html>
    on this particular installation.  On this project we incorporated
    some of the GSLC wiring innovations discussed in this forum.
    Wm
    Gradient Cap_mini
    Lic 773985
    millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>