Hi Andrew,

Any phrase that includes “per hour” while describing power use, generation or
storage in a RE system is probably a misnomer. Think about it: you could just
as well say 25kW per second or per month. That’s because kW is a term that
describes a rate or power, not a quantity of energy used or stored; kWh defines
that.

In our retail store I have heard this term hundreds of times. While I am
describing the difference between Watts and Watt-Hours, which is typically the
source of  confusion, I ask, “Would you say that your car has a 200HP “per
hour” engine?” No, you would just say 200HP because you are describing power.

So, if you meant the combined loads require 25kW to operate, use that number to
determine inverter or generator sizes. If you are describing 25kWh of energy
use or storage, use that to determine power production and battery bank size.

To your question: I am a fan of using Li-ion batteries for the long life,
weight and space savings, no maintenance, much higher charge rates, fastest
recharging, and the 40% reduction in the PV system size compared to LA storage.
Plus you get battery protection and monitoring included. Since you never have
to fully charge them, for offgrid use, the advantages are huge. For people
making $$$$ growing weeds, buy the best. Contact me off the list if you would
like more understanding about Li battery storage.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
la...@starlightsolar.com