A client found one on eBay.

----- Original Message -----
From:
 "RE-wrenches" <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>

To:
"RE-wrenches" <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>

Sent:
Fri, 6 Sep 2019 08:57:56 -0700
Re: [RE-wrenches] Old Outback Mate question

 Allan,

 I believe the original Mate is still available. At least my
distributor still has them in stock.

 Kent Osterberg
 Blue Mountain Solar

On 9/5/2019 8:01 PM, Sindelar Solar wrote:

        Wrenches,

        I have a customer with a 2005-era Outback VFX3648-based off grid
residential system. Her original Mate had lost response on several of
the six buttons. I told her that the Mate is no longer made, and a
Mate3 is larger (won't fit her space), expensive and overkill for her
needs. I offered to attempt to repair hers, as it seemed to me that it
would be a simple task. I removed the cover and the silicon button
molding, and used a Q-tip with a bit of electronic cleaner and
lubricant from Radio Shack to clean the contacts. When I put it back
together none of the buttons made active contact.

        - Any idea what I might have done wrong to cause further failure? I'm
wondering if the cleaner included an oil that hindered conductivity,
rather than enabled it, and whether trying again with denatured
alcohol (or something more potent still?) might resolve the problem.

        - Any suggestions about how to correct the (fairly common) problem of
the buttons not making contact after years of service?

        - Anyone repairing older Mates that you might pass on?

        - Any way to buy a new or refurbished Mate?

        Thank you for any help here.,

        Allan
 --

        ALLAN SINDELAR

al...@sindelarsolar.com
 [1]

 New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
 Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.

505 780-2738 CELL

 List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org [2]

[3]

[4]