I've seen all 3 options.   This question actually comes up in the wiring of sub panels, and out buildings as well.  I find improperly bonded wiring all the time that allows current to flow on the ground, because Neutral was bonded at both ends, with an EGC also run in parallel(option 2 done incorrectly).  This is a big No No, and can cause voltages on exposed metal.  Next, my understanding is that option 1 is no longer allowed on a single service, although that is how all grid connected houses are wired to the grid and each other with separate meters.  (sorry I'm out of the office, so I don't have a code reference)

As far as different opinions from different AHJs, I've had inspectors switch mid project, with the first inspector saying option 2 was ok, then the 2nd inspector required us to later run a GEC back to the GE after.   On option 3,  you would always want an EGC running with the conductors.  I have occasionally then not connected that EGC at one end, if we also had the separate GEC running back to the GE, to avoid a "lightning loop".  Having 2 ground conductors running to the same point along different paths allows lightning to induce a current in the wiring through the loop that is created.

It really does get more complicated, when you also consider the grounding system's secondary purpose of providing lightning protection.   I have a great book from Polyphasor on grounding for lightning protection that is a whole nother world beyond NEC. They had grounding systems with dozens of GEs (for communications towers) but everything was attached in a star pattern to avoid any lightning loops.  Its actually possible to meet both NEC and lightning protection requirements, but it takes more consideration, and hence the varied opinions.  Not having current running on the ground system however is a serious safety issue.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760