I design a lot of grid tied projects, but I still do a rooftop about once
or twice a year.  All of them going back 7 years or so always used
covered/vented cable tray.  This includes homeruns, DC feeders, and all AC
wiring.  There still is some metallic conduit used (usually EMT) - a small
jumper for a single wire, or the 3'-5' jump from the cable tray to the
inverter or panelboard, or a single circuit output.  Cable tray is a lot
more cost effective and it has thermal expansion inherently built in so
there's less concern about separation.  You can also fill up a smaller area
than conduit so it's a bit easier to walk around, although we have to
install some stairs to go over some of the more crowded spots.

It gets a little complicated and labeling is incredibly important as you
don't want to mix DC and AC wires in the same tray, nor can you mix
communication cables in it either.

I haven't done once under the Jan 1 2019 rapid shutdown clause yet nor do I
see one on the horizon anytime soon but I see no reason why cable tray
still won't be used.